What are the rights of a pollwatcher
- Watch the proceedings or discussion of the BEI.
- Jot down all the information heard and watched.
- Document the voting and counting. Take a photo of the election returns and the ballot box.
- Voice and file protest as to any irregularity and illegal acts according to law.
- Get certificate that the protest was filed and resolved by the BEI.
- Sign and put thumb mark in the election returns for the dominant minority and dominant majority party and citizens arm watchers.
Before the start of voting make sure that:
- The serial number of the PCOS box and the serial number used for testing and sealing is the same.
- No ballot is inside the ballot box and that the official ballot and the Book of Voters are sealed.
- The printer cover is sealed and is not yet opened. The main memory card slot and the back up memory card slot are sealed.
- The printed Initialization Report tallied "0" to all the candidates and data.
- If all of the above is correct, then sign the Initialization Report.
While voting is happening
- Make sure that only the people contained in the Precinct Computerized Voters List (PCVL) and the Election Day Computerized Voters List (ECVL) are those who can only vote.
- There will be no extra ballots. No one is allowed a second chance in voting.
- The start of voting is at 7:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. Voters who are within the 30 meter radius of the precinct will be allowed to vote beyond 6:00P.M. The BEI will list down these people and each of them will be called individually to vote.
- Those physically challenged person and those who cannot read and write may bring a relative (up to 4th degree) or may ask the BEI to accompany him/her to vote. This can only be done if this information is declared in the EDCVL.
- Each voter is only allowed to insert their ballots twice in the PCOS machine. After which, the ballot will be noted as rejected ballots. This occurrence will be noted in the minutes.
- Only the BEI, support staff, representatives from the COMELEC, technical staff, watchers (who are in their designated area), voters who are voting, those voters who are waiting for their turn to vote, and some people allowed by the COMELEC are allowed inside the precinct.
- If anyone who reported to you that the ballot given to him or her has markings, make sure that this should be noted in the minutes.
- If cases of brownouts, no need to worry because the PCOS machine has a reserve battery.
In counting the ballot
- The rejected ballots will be torn by the Chair of the BEI I in front of the watchers. Half of the ballot will be given to the Election Officer while the other half will be put in the envelop and drop to the ballot box.
- Unused ballots will be torn by the BEI. Half of the ballot will be put in the envelop and will be given to the Election Officer. The other half will be put in the envelop and then put in the ballot box.
- The BEI will click "Close Voting" and the machine will automatically count the votes cast for each candidates.
- Then the BEI will print eight (8) copies for the national positions and eight (8) copies for the local positions.
- The Chair of the BEI will then read the votes cast for each candidate in every position.
- The second ER for the national and local positions will be posted for two days in a well lighted place that people can check the outcome of the election.
- Then electronic transmittal of report will done. The first report will be transmitted to the Board of Canvassers in the COMELEC server. Then the result will be transmitted to the Dominant Majority Party, Dominant Minority Party, Accredited Citizens' Arm and the KBP. They will receive one copy each. The last transmittal will be to the Central Server.
- Afterwhich, the BEI will print 22 copies of the election returns. Therefore, there will be 30 copies of ER that will be printed hard copy by the machine. According to the COMELEC, the hard copies of the ER will be given to dominant majority party, dominant minority party, ten (10) accredited national party (they will decide who will receive as only 1 copy will be given to then) and two (2) major local party (they will also decide who can get as only one will be given to them).
- If you will not receive a hard copy, make sure that you will be able to take a photo of the ER or copy manually the vote cast of the candidate you are watching.
- If there is any anomaly, make sure that it is recorded in the minutes.